20.8.13

Camping in Venezia -- Pt. II

The campground was filled with tiny cabins, pre-assembled tents with cots (Alvaro's and my accommodations), and areas for your own tents and RVs. There was a huge group of Uruguayan students, in Venice to study architecture. There was one traveling class made up of Indian, Austrian, German, and Turkish students (all of whom spoke English together but also seemed to know three other languages). I'll never forget how that made my world feel so limited, only knowing one language. How arrogant of me and my country's narrow education system. You could be telling me that my undies are showing, or that I have a booger the size of a euro hanging out of my nostril, and I'd still stand here with a goofy, oblivious smile on my face, wouldn't I?

Venice itself was more beautiful than any cheesy brochure had ever lead on. Wave after wave of tourists choked out the main thoroughfares as if shopping was the only thing they could think of to do, so it was very easy to stray from the wider roads and get happily lost. Tourism in Venice is a fragile, often self-destructing entity. The line every traveler must walk between "helpful" and "harmful" is especially fine in Venice. The city is overwhelmed with disposing of the constant influx of trash, so if you bring/create any on the islands, be sure to leave with it, too, and dispose of it appropriately somewhere on the mainland.

Fruits and nuts

"Your soft joy...": Reflections of Venetian Water... there were potable water spigots everywhere, just above not-so-potable canals

No, we didn't ride a gondola. 100+ Euros. Watching the gondoliers expertly maneuver these things was satisfying enough.

Contrary to popular belief, the fluctuating tides of Venice assuredly won't be the main players in its demise; Venetians have had centuries to adapt to them. 21st century tourism, on the other hand, just might be key. More people in developing countries have more money than ever before, and they're taking it to places like Venice. It's just not always flowing through the right channels. What threatens Venice more urgently, rising sea levels, or the rising affluence of an increasing world population? How do you know where to spend your foreign money, so that it helps the local economy? Give me your thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment